Friday, July 31, 2015

The Month in Review: JULY (Food & Drink PART 2)

Some more delicious foodie photos from my vacation in the US...
(If you missed Part 1, you can check it out HERE.)

Morning Date Smoothie

While I was home, I made a point to try out some new recipes, one of them being this Morning Date Smoothie with dates, frozen banana, almond milk, cinnamon & vanilla extract. It was delicious, and I will definitely be making this again come summer in Argentina.


A tradition in my family has always been to eat pizzas on Friday night, whether we order out or make pizza at home. More recently, my parents have gotten into cooking their homemade pizzas outside on the grill. The weather was pretty much perfect the entire time I was in New Jersey and it felt so good to be able to cook & eat outside.


I accompanied my grilled pizza with this prosecco. I dislike drinking white wine, but I love prosecco, cava and champagne!


While I was in the US, I had to do a little research...burger research, that is. Since my husband couldn't come on this trip with me (he's gotta hold down the burger bar), I checked out Five Guys and Shake Shack for him and reported back. I thought the burger at Five Guys was really good, and the burger at Shake Shack was a disappointment for me. Either way, my husband's burgers blow these out of the water, but I may just be biased. ;-)


One day while I was home, I had to bring a coat to the dry cleaners. It was around lunch time, I was hungry and fortunately there are a few restaurants next to the dry cleaners: a Chinese restaurant, a pizza place and a Greek restaurant. I can't believe I had never tried the Greek restaurant before since I love that kind of food! I even got my Mom to try falafel for the first time and she loved it! Out of everything I took away that day, the falafel and the eggplant were the stars of the show.


It was my Mom's birthday during my stay, so I asked her what kind of cake she wanted me to bake. We decided on a Hummingbird Cake, which has bananas, pineapple, & pecans inside the cake and toasted coconut covering the cream cheese frosting on the outside. It was SO good, and luckily for us, the cake lasted an entire week!


For my Mom's birthday, we went out for dinner at a restaurant called Mistral in Princeton, NJ. This is the dinner that I deemed "THE BEST DINNER I HAVE HAD IN A LONG TIME." I was seriously blown away by how delicious every single plate was!

Fanny Bay Oysters w/ rhubarb mignonette


Sweet Potato Pancake w/ Japanese BBQ, katsuobushi & scallion.


Buttermilk Fried Avocado Salad w/ green goddess, slow roasted tomato & cured eggs.


Cornmeal Bucatini w/ shrimp sausage, bacon, scallion & poached egg.


Burlesque w/ pueblo viejo tequila, pineapple, lime, ginger, amaretto & duo of bitters.


The next night we headed back to Princeton to go to one of my favorite restaurants: Blue Point Grill. Fresh seafood is hard to come by in Buenos Aires, so whenever I go to the United States I go on seafood overload and eat seafood whenever and wherever I can!


I love all seafood, but oysters are always such a special treat. In this selection we travelled down the West Coast and back up the East Coast! My favorites were the Kumamoto oysters from California. 


And as if I hadn't already indulged enough, I had to stop by the frozen yogurt joint, 16 Handles, in town. I made myself a trio yogurt cup with flavors Coconut Castaway, Birthday Cake and Graham Cracker. I topped it off with my favorites icing-dipped animal crackers, raspberry marmalade filled dark chocolate cups, and the classic ice cream topping staple: rainbow sprinkles.


Then I would make up for eating an extra large cup of frozen yogurt by making something fresh & healthy at home. This is a green bean side dish (sauteed with shallots & walnuts and topped with lemon juice & parsley) I made alongside some honey mustard baked chicken. :-D

Fennel-Roasted Chicken and Winter Squash with Endive-Apple Salad

While it seems like I really set up shop in the kitchen, I did allow others to use the kitchen every once in a while. ;-) My Mom made this amazing roast chicken & salad dish by Curtis Stone. I love anything that combines chicken and salad, and this recipe is the ultimate, upgraded version of your typical chicken and salad dish. 


This concludes my food journey through the month of July in the US! 
What yummy recipes have your tried/what good restaurants have you gone to lately?

15 comments:

  1. Tell me more about cooking pizza on a grill! That's on my list of things to do over this 30 day period that we're about to go into. What kind of dough did you use? How long did you cook it and directly over the flame or to the side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't cooked pizza on the grill myself, personally, but I did watch my parents do it. They use this special grilling pan: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/steel-grill-pizza-pan/
      Place it directly over the flame on the grill---close the lid and cook it for a pretty short period of time. Maybe less than 8 minutes? You should check it halfway through to see how it's doing. As for the dough, my mom usually buys the fresh raw dough at the supermarket (it's basically just a blob of dough in a plastic bag), although I like to make homemade dough if I have the time (the recipe I use for homemade dough is from Smitten Kitchen). Hope this helps! Let me know if you guys grill your pizza one night and how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. Chrystin, those are yummy dishes! What I love the most is the one with green beans - oh how much I love those things. When I was in Japan, it is a very common dish to eat it hot with just salt, and it is delicious! (: Simple is the best, sometimes. (:

    Thank you for your comment on my blog!
    I'm actually making of a video where I tell my favorite and less favorite things about living in FL, so stay tuned, I should post it this month, hopefully! ♥♥♥

    Lots of love!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I've never been much of a cooked vegetable fan..I always opt for salads, but I;m starting to come around to them! The green beans were the delicious, and the next night I made roasted asparagus with parmesan, garlic & lemon. SO good.

      And I can't wait for your video! I'd love to hear your pros and cons about living in the US, specifically Florida.

      Hope you're enjoying a wonderful weekend! :-)

      Delete
  3. Good to have you back!! :D I was wondering where are you..? I allready saw the part 1, and now part 2, the food looks amazing, especially that crazy cake and pizza!
    http://sunmoonstyle.blogspot.co.at/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sanja! Feels good to be back! Now I've got to get back into the swing of things. I've got a few more photos to share, and I hope I can get around to posting them this weekend!

      Hope you're having a lovely weekend! xx

      Delete
  4. This post made me so hungry, haha!! Seriously, all this food looks delicious, I'm drooling over that Hummingbird Cake you did for your mum's b-day. Or what about that smoothie from pic #1? I might give it a try, too as I love all the ingredients!
    In answer to your question, last Thursday I was at a coffee place and I tried one called TentaciĆ³n which included dulce de leche, chocolate sauce and cream (I mean, for a coffee lover with a sweet tooth like me, that coffee was like heaven). Never mind the calories, by the way... ;)
    Have a lovely weekend!

    http://www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hummingbird cake was SO delicious! I'm think about making it for myself for my own birthday haha
      If you like dates, you will love that smoothie! Speaking of good smoothies, I just made a really good one yesterday (and again today) with a combination of ingredients I wouldn't normally use. I think I'll share it on the blog soon.
      That coffee drink sounds delicious! In the colder weather I love make chai tea lattes at home with espuma and a good dose of azucar! When I Iived in Spain when I was in high school, I loved sweet coffee drinks and would always order something called a Cafe Bombon which was espresso with condensed milk---sounds pretty simple, but it was oh so delicious!

      Hope you're having a fantastic weekend and that the weather is a little nicer by you! In Buenos Aires it's been grey and rainy for the past three days..surprise, surprise haha

      Delete
  5. I can't decide what looks the most delicious. I just want all of it. Also, this is such a great idea!! I love that you recap each month with food. It would be so much fun to take on myself, compile my favorite bites throughout the month! I'm just super impressed, such a unique idea! I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog, I can't wait to read more :)

    http://www.thewhatsinbetween.com/2015/08/mens-wear-inspired-outfit.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually the first month I decided to do a food recap, so I'm glad you liked it! I might have to do it every month! It helps that I have a smartphone now and don't have to lug my camera around everywhere with me.

      Thanks for stopping by, Zoe!

      Delete
  6. I am in love with your post! thanks for sharing I am in love with your blog. Do you want to support each other's blog by following each other?:) Please let me know if you do so I can follow you right back x

    kisses

    http://www.theclosetelf.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary! Glad you enjoyed this post!

      Delete
  7. Woooow amazing post! Love pizza very much :) have a nice day :)

    Welcome to my blog
    www.blotterlife.com :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy! You can never go wrong with pizza....and homemade pizza is THE BEST!

      Delete
  8. Everything looks delicious. It must be amazing to go back home and eat all your favorite food, I am currently in India but after 8 months I might be back to the US and believe me, I plan to eat lots and lots of greasy, delicious, comfort food :)

    Espero que tengas 1 lindo dia guapa,
    saludos.

    Johanna. ♥
    http://www.dreamscolorsandglitter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)