Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Sunday Dinner


Asian food might just be one of my favorite foods to eat, and to cook. But, cooking Asian food presents a few inconveniences (for me, at least). The first is that many Asian dishes require ingredients that are not only difficult to find, but also expensive. When you live in a country that is pretty much against importation, this can be a bit of a problem. Fortunately, Buenos Aires does have its own Barrio Chino (Chinatown), so I am usually able to find most things that I need there, but of course, at a hefty price.

The second complication is that many of these Asian dishes take hours of preparation. While I don't have this free time during the week, I don't mind spending a Sunday afternoon in the kitchen because I KNOW the meal will be worth it.

This past Sunday I made Thai Chicken Curry Noodles, which actually didn't take long at all to prepare (score!). On the side, I made a Cilantro-Lime Cucumber Salad . I've made this salad before, but I had forgotten just how amazing it was/is! (Check out the other time I made this salad, here).

Everything was incredibly delicious, and since there were leftovers, I had something to look forward to on a Monday afternoon. ;-)

Thai Noodles, or as they have translated them here, "Rice Stick."
This "pasta" is about 3-4 times more expensive than regular pasta, but it is SO necessary.




A few observations & mental notes for the future:
-I used low-sodium soy sauce to make the Thai Chicken Curry Noodles, but next time I plan on using regular soy sauce to give it a bit more flavor.
-I like to make the Cilantro-Lime Cucumber Salad a few hours in advance, that way it gives the cucumbers some time to soak up the heavenly lime-jalapeño-garlic vinaigrette.

22 comments:

  1. Oh my the cilantro lime cucumber salad looks so delicious. I love the colors.

    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! I could probably eat it a few times a week, easily. ;-)

      Delete
  2. this looks SO tasty!! i need to make that salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salad is must! I know it's winter in the US, and this is more of a summer-y salad, but honestly it is so good that it can and should be eaten year round!

      Delete
  3. That looks soooo delicious!!! Being half asian, asian food is definitely my favourite. unfortunately i am not such a good cook :( i would really like to try out the cucumber salad. I know a simple recipe whith vinegar and sugar, the typical chinese cucimber salad but tuning it with cilandro and lime sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love Asian food! I only wish I knew how to make more dishes, but I'm learning as I go! Try out the salad when you get a chance---it's super simple, but with dramatic flavors!

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm, these look so good. Barrio Chino has some good restaurants as well, but sometimes cooking at home is just so satisfying.

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going to Barrio Chino for shopping as well as eating! There are a couple of restaurants that I really love there, and it's true that the Chinese restaurants in Barrio Chino are better than the Chinese restaurants in other parts of the city...in fact, they don't even compare. So if we are going to eat Chinese, I'm either going to Barrio Chino to eat or to shop and make myself. Do you remember any of the restaurants you went to in Barrio Chino? I like Lai Lai and Palitos.

      Delete
  5. I'm Filipino and can't get enough of Asian inspired good! So delicious!

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I would love to learn to make Filipino food! Any chance you plan on sharing some recipes on your blog?

      Delete
  6. This looks SO good. I am so bad with eating too much sodium, definitely would use regular soy too ;) ALTHOUGH, I try to use Liquid Aminos (Bragg Brand) as a sub as much as possible, then add a bit of Himalayan sea salt. Yum!

    xoxo

    Kaley

    My Closet Life Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Asian food, you should definitely give it a try! I usually don't add much salt to my food, which is why I thought it would be fine with low-sodium soy sauce, but as it turns out, the sodium in soy sauce is what makes it taste so good!

      Delete
  7. Mmm so yummy! I love to cook and eat Asian food too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly trying to learn how to cook more Asian dishes since I love them so much! I hope that one day I will master sushi, too!

      Delete
  8. The food looks so delicious!
    I love Asian food

    Shalay,
    itsjustshalay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Asian food is one of my favorite kinds of cuisine!

      Delete
  9. Mmmm sounds really good! Besito
    Http://www.littleprettymess.com
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7279767/littleprettymess
    Instagram: @littleprettymess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)