Thursday, January 8, 2015

My Secret Hobby

If you know me personally, this probably is no secret, but I don't think I've really mentioned this hobby on my blog, so what better time than now?

You may have noticed things on my blog were pretty quiet over the past couple of months. Usually I spend my free time away from work blogging, but this time I was working on a special project.  This special project was a Christmas present for my mom. And, earlier this year, I completed another special project for my friend & her husband for their wedding present. Any idea as to what I made?

Ok, I'll tell you. My "secret" hobby is crocheting and my special "projects" were handmade blankets! My mom taught me how to crochet back when I was about seventeen, and while my first scarves weren't very pretty, I kept trying at it and quite enjoyed it! It feels pretty gratifying finishing a crocheted piece and knowing you did it yourself. While I'm not even close to being a pro (I only know how to make scarves and blankets), it's something I really enjoy doing, especially when I am making something for someone else.


I made my first large blanket about a year and a half ago, and I remembered my friend making a comment that she liked it. So when she got engaged a few months later, I knew exactly what I was going to give her for her wedding present and I got started immediately! That blanket took me about six months to make, but I was only crocheting on the weekends. It was funny because we would chat during the week and she would ask me what I did over the weekend, but I could never tell her what I really did because I wanted it to be a surprise!

My mom saw the blanket I had made for my friend and I think she was amazed at how far my crocheting skills had come over the years (although when it comes to the skill department, her crocheting skills far outpass mine...I mean did you see this blanket she made me for my birthday a couple of years ago?!)

I told her I would make her one for Christmas, but then I never mentioned it again. I purposely did that in hopes that she would forget I offered, and be really surprised when she received a handmade blanket on Christmas morning.

Well, I didn't leave myself much time. I arrived back in Argentina after my vacation in the US around the end of September and started the blanket in October, which left me with about 2.5 months to crochet a huge blanket. Whether it seemed impossible to finish in that short timespan or not, when I decide that I'm going to do something, I do it.

So, I crocheted in the morning, I crocheted in the evening, I crocheted on weekends...... I basically crocheted every moment I was awake and not at work (As Tomas is my witness, this is not an exaggeration). Much to my surprise, I finished with about two weeks to spare! I couldn't believe I did it. A personal record!

What I love about using this special skill to make gifts for others is the look on their faces when they receive a handmade gift. That's what makes me really happy.


Another thing worth noting is that Argentina has an incredible selection of natural yarns. They are so soft, and dyed beautifully. I always have such a hard time choosing colors! The fact that there are SO many nice yarns to choose from makes me want to do more and more projects so that I can use them all!

(Thanks to Carolyn for the photos!)

18 comments:

  1. This is a really nice gesture!! Selfmade presents are always the best because they really come from th heart. And although I have no idea how to chrochet, I love doing things by my own like sewing, painting etc. and it is a really satisfying feeling to finish something and hold it in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handmade presents are the best! They're my favorite kind of present to give (and to receive)! That's so cool that you can sew though! I wish I could sew better so that I could make my own clothes. I'd love to learn how to use a sewing machine. What are you favorite things to make by hand?

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, the yarn selections there is wonderful. The blanket is beautiful. I always want to learn more knitting and crochet, but I guess I am just lazy with it, haha. Really nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's true that it does take some patience, but it's never too late to learn!

      Delete
  3. We love our Chrystin blanket so much--it has been coming in handy during this deep freeze we're having!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that just makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside :-)

      Delete
  4. So beautiful......I love the colors and the yarns look like velvet from the photos. You are much too modest. I still wear the starfish pin you made me many, many moons ago, and get compliments on it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aunt Annie! The yarn here is DIVINE. So soft, and such high quality! You'll have to send me a photo of that starfish pin, because I can't seem to remember what it looks like!

      Delete
  5. Looks great, Chrystin! I am very impressed. For some reason, my crocheting never seems to work out, so it's just knitting for me at the moment. I am also very impressed that you've managed to complete multiple blankets, I feel like I don't have the patience for a project that big! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! We'll have to get together one day and I'll give you the encouragement to crochet a large blanket, and you teach me the skills to knit sweaters for my dogs!

      Delete
  6. OOO Dear, compliments for your work, i love this type of surprise! Great <3
    kiss
    and thanks to visit my blog
    <3
    www.theladycracy.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I was just as excited to surprise my mom with this present as she was to receive it!

      Delete
  7. Wow, your really good at crocheting!!! My sister also makes crochet scarves because my granny taught her -and my granny does qualify as a pro ;) So I know it takes some real skills to make such a beautiful blanket like you made! Congrats :D It's a great present, for sure!!
    xx

    http://www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb!! I'd love to make a cape for my next project since those are very "de moda" for this winter. I'm just waiting for it to cool down a bit here before I start!

      Delete
  8. love everything! great photos :D

    Visit my blog? xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)