Thursday, November 13, 2014

Uma


Well, Tomas has done it again. Last Saturday morning, Tomas went out with the dogs and found an abandoned kitten, in the same alleyway that he found the puppy (Cindy) a month ago. (Update on Cindy: She has been officially adopted by a nice lady who also lives in our apartment building! She's the perfect owner for Cindy and has given her such a loving home! <3)

Anyway, back to Saturday morning in the alleyway.....We're assuming that is the new disposal location for unwanted animals. It's really very sad, but fortunately for the animals, we live right in front and Tomas cannot pass up a baby animal on the street.  We're like the guardian angels of animals overlooking the alleyway from apartment 1*A.



A few days have passed, and now comes the hardest part....I'm becoming attached, and I know that we can't keep her. You guys have no idea how sweet this little kitten is. As I write this post she is sleeping a peaceful siesta in my lap. She wasn't dealt the best hand of cards in life....she is missing one front paw, and the other front paw appears to be broken. Despite all of that, she's able to walk really well (and fast!) and she has a ton of energy. She's sociable, not only with Tomas and I, but also with the dogs. I think she and Willy have a special bond, in particular.  She's the tiniest little thing I've ever seen, but she's got a big personality, and she's very brave. I know she's going to grow to be an amazing cat.



(A bit blurry, but I couldn't NOT post this photo.)

There is someone who is interested in adopting her, so I am soaking up my last days with her and enjoying her company in the apartment. I'm sure I'll cry the day she goes to her new home. I don't know how, but I feel like I've bonded with this little cat, even though we have only known each other for less than a week. Ah, the emotional roller coaster of fostering an animal!


What's also incredible is that never in my life have I had a puppy or a kitten, and in the time span of one month, I have gotten the chance to take care of both for the first time. Pretty crazy, actually. And from personal experience, I can now say that taking care of a kitten is ten times easier than taking care of a puppy, except that you have to be super careful when you walk around the house.




Have you ever found an abandoned animal or been a foster parent to an animal?
I'd love to hear your stories!

15 comments:

  1. That picture of Agatha licking her chops .... looks hungry for Uma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agatha would never! She prefers a big 'ol spoon of peanut butter instead.

      Delete
  2. I love that first picture of Agatha and Willy looking up at you as you hold Uma! As long as she is going to be loved, you have done your best for her. Fostering is an important job, but I understand how difficult it is to let go, that's one reason I haven't done that yet. "Once in, never out!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so difficult to let her go, but she's in great hands now...and "she" turned out to be a "he"! I got a photo update last week, but I'll have to ask for another one soon!

      Delete
  3. Oh this is just way too cute!!! I hope you find someone for her, I am sure you will. good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did find a home for her (now him), and super fast! Selfishly, I was hoping to keep the kitten for longer, but we're happy that he gets to have a happy ending. :-)

      Delete
  4. I didn't find him, but my brother found a little of puppies and tricked me into fostering one of them... I swore I was going to rehome him because my I didn't want the responsibility of a second pet. Two years later he is sleeping at the foot of the bed. Good on you for taking care of this precious baby. I love how animals don't recognize disabilities.

    http://lamentinglizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's such a sweet story! I'm glad he stole your heart and you were able to keep him. It's amazing how these animals can go from being abandoned in the street, to finding an amazing home full of love and making their way into the bed every night haha
      I wish that all street animals could get their happy ending....maybe one day this will be less of a problem in the world, but until then, we are trying to do the best we can to help!

      Delete
  5. I came home from class one day in college to find a tiny kitten in my driveway. She fit in my hand and was covered in fleas and dried blood. I took her and and cleaned her off and decided to keep her. She was the perfect college kitty- a little wild and super sweet. She lives with my parents now in Alabama. I love seeing her when I go home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I didn't know about her! What is her name? I wonder if she and Simon would get on well. I'm quite impressed that you were responsible enough to take care of a tiny kitten in college. I only ever had fish and one hamster, and my mom ended up taking care of most of them. Oh have the times have changed! Thanks for sharing your story! xx

      Delete
  6. When I was little I wanted to save every little cat or dog from the street, it was so funny and nice. Now, with a child in house, it`s not that easy anymore. Here, in Austria, there is no abandoned animals! So, I can rest in peace :D But your new kitty is so adorable!! I think too that she is gona be an amazing cat. I wish her a fast recovery. Sorry for my bad English :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do the same thing when I was a kid too! I'm glad to hear that in Austria you don't have the same problem with stray animals as we do here! That gives me hope that maybe one day this problem will be solved, or at least not as severe as it is now. Thanks for your kind words (your English is perfect!). We did find a forever home for her (a friend of my husband's) and she is in great hands, which makes me feel happy and at ease. :-)

      Delete
  7. You two are such great people. I'm so happy you two rescue these animals. Thanks for the update on Cindy! That's great! It's great that this kitty is doing so well. Kittens are the best! So curious and adorable.

    I've had my current cat since he was 3 days old. He was crying on the other side of the fence and I went and grabbed him. His eyes were still closed! So I really took care of him. Bottle fed him, wiped his butt, haha. He's 3 now. I really love him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina! We really love to do it. I just wish we had the time and the space to save even more! I hope that one day I can start my own shelter, but the kind of shelters we have here---open air shelters, where the animals can run free, play and interact with each other.

      That's such a sweet story about your cat! I can't even imagine how small he must have been at 3 days old! I bet he's forever grateful for you and all you've done for him. xx

      Delete
  8. Oh what a sweet little kitten! I'm so glad you guys are there to take in the stray babies! And to find them new homes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)