Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Make-Your-Own Vegetable Cream Cheese


When I was home, I had a (mental) list of all the foods I wanted to eat while I was there...foods that aren't readily available in Argentina. One of those foods was bagels, and I'm actually surprised I only ate two the entire time I was home! Apparently, I CAN live without them. But, if I am going to eat a bagel, I've got to do it right. Usually, that involves an "everything" bagel, and/or vegetable cream cheese. When I saw that my mom had bought bagels for breakfast one morning, I quickly took inventory of the fridge to see if I could whip up an impromptu vegetable cream cheese for my bagel breakfast. I can't remember if I've made vegetable cream cheese before...I may have made it once before, but I have no specific recipe for it. So, I winged it!
The result was pretty darn delicious, and I ate it for the next few days.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vegetable Cream Cheese
Yield: Good for about 3-4 bagels


Ingredients:
- 1, 8oz. container of cream cheese
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 a red bell pepper
- 1 shallot
- handful of spinach
- ground black pepper & garlic powder to taste

Directions:
-Empty your 8oz. container of cream cheese into a medium sized bowl.
-Roughly chop your celery, red bell pepper, shallot and spinach, and add to the bowl with cream cheese.
-Mix together with a spoon, and add freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder to your liking. 
-Generously spread on bagel, and enjoy!
Note: If there is any left over, cover bowl with plastic wrap and keep in fridge. My vegetable cream cheese stayed good for about 2-3 days, then I tossed it (although there wasn't much to toss...I ate nearly all of it myself!).


12 comments:

  1. So so yummy. I don't know if it's still there, but I think Oui Oui on Nicaragua street had bagels... And some other place... La Crespo maybe? I haven't been to BA in years, but for some reason I got a bagel craving while there and fulfilled it somehow. I do hope to enjoy this veggie cream cheese! Now to visit my local bagel shop...


    http://lamentinglizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, both Oui Oui and La Crepo are both still here! I've only tried the bagels at La Crespo though. They were pretty good, but they just weren't the same as the ones from home! I'd really like to make my own...my friend had sent me a recipe about a year ago (or more), and I still haven't gotten around to making them. I know it will be a lot of work, but it might be worth it!

      Delete
  2. I am a blueberry bagel lover with blueberry cream cheese to top, but my husband LOVES everything bagels! And he would love this veggie cream cheese! I've never thought about making our own! What a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I love blueberry bagels too! Probably my second favorite, actually. You should definitely make the veggie cream cheese for your hubby! Although, beware...once he tries it he will probably be asking for it all the time, expecting it with his bagels haha

      Delete
  3. I love everything bagels. That's the type I grab. This looks like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it---it's so simple!
      Revisiting this post has now made me hungry haha

      Delete
  4. That looks really delicious, I love cream cheese. What do you miss most in Argentina and what do you think about dulce de leche and mate?
    What I miss most from Germany here in Spain is the bread...I guess that's the only thing ;)
    xx, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge cream cheese fan, and just cheese in general. I literally can't get enough. As for dulce de leche, I do really like it, but it seems to be the only kind of sweet they have here---most pastries, cakes, cookies, etc have dulce de leche in them! It gets to be a bit much, but I've kind of gotten used to it, and there's no denying it's really good, I just wish there was more variety. As for mate, I love it. The first time I tried it, I didn't enjoy the taste, but now I've come to really like it and it gives you the perfect energy boost when you drink it---a bit different from coffee. And it's even better when accompanied by some yummy pastries (most likely made with dulce de leche haha)!
      As for what I miss most from the US...probably just the variety of foods that are available there. When I was back in the States, I went food shopping with my mom and I forgot just how big the supermarkets are there and how much stuff there is...it was a little overwhelming actually, but it's nice to have choices and to be able to make all of the exotic recipes you'd like! xx

      Delete
  5. this looks delicious! thanks so much for commenting on my blog! I love yours specially this post <3
    xx

    Gogui O
    http://www,timeless-look.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should try the recipe sometime---it's very easy! xx

      Delete
  6. So yummy!!!! I should definitely try this out! And the best thing is... there's no meat!!! :D
    xx

    http://www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, you would love this! It's so simple to make and requires no crazy ingredients! Since we don't have bagels here you could eat it on toast, in a sandwich, or as a dip with some crackers! xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)