Thursday, August 21, 2014

Chicken Katsu Curry


I first learned about Chicken Katsu Curry when I heard Benji & Judy talk about it on their vlog, itsJudysLife. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I knew that it would be something I liked. A mix of Japanese and Indian flavors = my personal heaven. I decided to search for video recipes on YouTube instead of written recipes in hopes that I would better understand what exactly is Chicken Katsu Curry. As it turns out, Chicken Katsu Curry is a Japanese curry which is a staple dish not only in Japan, but in Japanese restaurants all over the world. Where have I been?

I found this simple (in terms of cooking skill level) and informative recipe from Vah Chef. The recipe was very easy to follow, but I have to warn you, it requires quite a bit of kitchen ware---lots of plates, bowls, pots & pans were used, which meant quite a bit of clean-up, but honestly it was worth it. Knowing that, this is definitely more of a weekend meal, considering the preparation & clean-up time. I didn't follow all of the measurements exactly....I ended up adding a little more of most of the ingredients in the sauce because I like my meals saucy, and I wanted to make sure I had enough sauce. Nothing drives me more crazy than a meal that lacks sauce, dressing, condiments, etc. There ended up being enough sauce for both Tomas & myself, plus some extra, which we ended up eating with the leftover rice the next day.


The only problem I had with making this recipe was that when I went to cut my fried chicken cutlets, the breaded coating started falling off. I'm not sure if this was because of how I fried them, for how long I fried them, or due to my dull cutting knife. I should also mention that I substituted the panko bread crumbs with regular breadcrumbs since that is what I had in the house. Any ideas on why the fried coating would fall off of the chicken?

Either way, the taste was on point. How can I say the taste was "on point" if I've never had chicken katsu curry before? I don't know, but it's what I would imagine a good chicken katsu curry to taste like. The mix of a little bit of sweet (the honey), a little bit of salt (the soy sauce) and a little bit of spice (the curry) is the kind of flavor combination that is right up my alley, or even better, right up my "stairway to heaven."  I WILL be making this again, and probably very soon. ;-)




Have you ever tried Chicken Katsu Curry before? 
Do you prefer Indian or Japanese curry?

18 comments:

  1. Looks so good! And check out that expertly-hollowed pepper garnish on the side :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh! The expertly-hollowed jalapeño is courtesy of Tomas---I think that's a bit of melted parmesan on the inside. I'm not sure because I just used the pepper for garnish, and Tomas actually ate his!

      Delete
  2. Wow, it looks really delicious! I'd like to cook it myself :)
    I know Indian curry well but not Japanese... I'm not sure if I could find the latter in Italy...

    xoxo
    www.bellezzefelici.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The ingredients required are actually fairly common, and if I could find them in Argentina, I'm sure that you could find them in Italy! xx

      Delete
  3. Haha! I do that sometimes too! Where I make something that I've never actually eaten before and then I say that it tastes right. ;) But tastes are all subjective anyway! So I say if you liked it then the taste was definitely on point! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm gonna go with, until I finally get myself to Japan to try the real thing!

      Delete
  4. Che belle foto che spiegano il piatto.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Complimenti per le cose interessanti che pubblichi

    WWW.ANGELICHIC.COM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It really was! I can't wait to eat it again!

      Delete
  7. Mmm yummy !!! It's my first time in your blog and I love it :) I'm from Argentina too but I live in Spain, I invite you to visit my blog http://stylelovely.com/brookan/brookan/ Hope you like it !!! Lots of love sweetie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's so cool! I love finding people from Argentina in the blogger world! How long have you been living in Spain for? I lived in Malaga, Spain for one year and absolutely loved it! I will be definitely be checking out your blog! Thanks for stopping by :-D

      Delete
  8. Two things:

    1. There is an AMAZING Japanese restaurant in Boston. We bring Grandma for lunch and she gets a to-go bag to bring back to her assisted-living place for dinner. Yeah, it's authentic - http://toraya.jimdo.com/

    2. In Hawaii, there was this garlic-butter sauce that was incredible... it's served over shrimp, with a side of rice, and it was so.good. We went to the same restaurant twice in the course of a week. Just for the sauce. This isn't quite the same, but it turned out realllly good, you should try it - http://thegourmandmom.com/2010/09/28/hawaiian-garlic-shrimp/

    you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1.) That amazing Japanese restaurant is almost convincing me to make a trip to Boston. ALMOST.
      2.) That Hawaiian Garlic Shrimp looks amazing, and I need to go to Hawaii ASAP and stuff my face with seafood. I also feel like I would love poke.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)