Monday, July 21, 2014

When life gives you cucumbers, make pickles


Life didn't exactly "give" me cucumbers...I purposely went out and bought them, as well as radishes, with the intention of pickling them. I went on a pickling binge a couple of weekends ago, and am now enjoying the fruits (or should I say pickles?) of my labor.


Tomas and I had purchased The Art of Preserving cookbook from Williams-Sonoma over a year ago and never made any of the recipes. We looked at it a few times and decided everything was too complicated, required too many special tools, and/or was too time consuming.

Recently, I revisited the book and decided to give the pickles a go. I partly mixed two different pickle recipes and partly did my own thing. It actually didn't turn out to be as complicated as I thought it would be!

I used what I had (in terms of cooking tools) and created my own pickling spice. I also made radishes and roasted red peppers, and they all turned out amazing! I can't wait to make more, and it looks like I will have to do that soon since we are blasting through these jars!


Pickles: Vinegar brine, garlic, black pepper corns, mustard seeds, celery seed spice, cloves & fresh fennel (sealed in water bath, and set aside for two weeks).

Roasted Red Peppers: Olive oil, garlic, fresh ginger and red pepper flakes. (Not sealed, and eaten pretty much immediately).



Spicy Pickles: Vinegar brine, black pepper corns, white pepper, red pepper flakes, thai chili peppers, cloves and garlic (sealed in water bath and set aside for two weeks). 

Radishes: Vinegar brine, black pepper corns, fresh fennel, mustard seeds, celery seed spice (sealed in water bath and set aside for two weeks).


Have you tried pickling before? If so, do you have any must-try recipes for me?


21 comments:

  1. Aww this sounds great and delicious!
    kisses
    http://www.milanotime.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious! We've already eaten a couple of jars!

      Delete
  2. I've never tried pickling before, but these all look so great! Especially the "pickle" ones! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it! I found it to be quite addicting actually haha Now I'm trying to figure out what other yummy vegetables I can pickle!

      Delete
  3. Looks great! Very nice blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. uff I tried to pickle some veggies last year because I'd been so excited about the delicious pickled vegetables we ate in our holidays in Italy. unfortunately they turned out veeery flavorless. ugh. hate it when I spend hours on something and just don't succeed. I', happy for you yhat you had more luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a shame! I was actually quite surprised that I had such luck on the first try! I wasn't worried about them ending up with no flavor because I loaded them with spices, but I was concerned about not being able to get air-tight seal right. What spices did you use to flavor yours?

      Delete
    2. The recipe from our italian friend was without any flavors, just vinegar and honey...I really have to ask him again...

      Delete
  5. Oooh.. I gotta try. They look so yummy!

    Hazel
    www.theskimplelife.com
    Follow me on Instagram: @theskimplelife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try making them! You can make a bunch at a time, and they will last you for a while! Unless you are like me, who could probably eat a jar of pickles in one sitting haha

      Delete
  6. Great post- we do pickling in Czech Republic and Switzerland too. I love pickles!!

    XX

    Miri
    http://currentlywearing.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not common to find pre-made/store-bought pickles here, so I've taken to making my own! What kind of vegetables do you pickle?

      Delete
  7. Wish you a great day!
    kisses
    http://www.milanotime.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi dear!
    That's a great quote, so true :)
    And mmm love this recipe
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! If I had to choose between making lemonade out of lemons or pickles out of cucumbers, I'll go with the pickles haha Although, I do love lemonade too...

      Delete
  9. I suck at cooking unfortunately :( But these recipes look amazing!!
    xx

    http://www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, you could totally make these! No cooking required, really...just making the special vinegar mixture (vinegar, water, salt) on the stove! Anyway, if you do ever want to try these, just write me and I'll send you specific instructions :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)