Saturday, June 7, 2014

Recipe :: Chickpea & Carrot Burgers


How many times have I eaten these chickpea burgers in a 2 week time-span? The answer would be SIX. Three dinners, two lunches, and one breakfast. Yes, breakfast. Some might characterize this as obsessive, and I guess I would have to say I'm guilty. Once I find something I like, I need to have it ALL THE TIME. In a few months I'll get tired of it, and be saying "I hate chickpea burgers!". As of right now, I could never imagine feeling that way.

Tomas is lucky enough to be the guinea pig for all of the new recipes I try out, and while he thinks a meaty burger is the best thing there is, he LOVED these chickpea burgers that I found on Mess Makes Food. I honestly can't imagine someone NOT liking these. You'd have to be crazy, or just not a fan of cumin (which these contain, but you could always swap out that spice for something else).

The original recipe calls for a couple of ingredients not readily available here, so I made some tweaks (the most major change being I replaced tahini with peanut butter) and I was quite pleased with the result!

So, go ahead......impress your family & friends with these special vegetarian delights! Big taste, small price. Gotta love a good recipe that you can make on the cheap. I have to warn you though.....this wasn't the prettiest recipe to photograph, but the flavor......out of the ballpark! BADA BING!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHICKPEA & CARROT BURGERS
Recipe adapted from Mess Makes Food
Servings: 3

Ingredients:
- 1 can (210g) garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 2 cups shredded carrot(equivalent to 1-2 carrots depending on size)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- heaping spoonful creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, pepper
- non-stick cooking spray
For burger assembly: 
burger buns, cheese slices, lettuce, tomato, onion
Optional Necessary condiments: 
Thai Sweet Chili Sauce & Sriracha Sauce




Method:
1.) Rinse & drain chickpeas, then put in a large bowl. Add 1 cup of shredded carrot to the bowl, and leave aside the other cup. Also add chopped onion, egg, peanut butter and cumin to large bowl.
2.) Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. (You don't want any chunks of onions or whole chickpeas in your burgers.)If you do not have an immersion blender you could use a food processor, or I'm sure that a regular blender would do the job as well.
3.) Now you can heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the cup of shredded carrots that you set aside earlier. You'll want to sauté the carrot until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
4.) Once carrots are soft, add them with the leftover oil into the chickpea mixture. 
5.) Add your breadcrumbs, in 1/4 cup intervals, into the mixture. At this time, you can also add salt & pepper to your liking. Mix with a spoon until breadcrumbs are evenly distributed throughout mixture.
6.) Scoop out the chickpea mixture in 3 handfuls, first forming a ball, and then flattening into a patty.
7.) Using the same pan as you used to cook your carrots, spray nonstick spray on pan. Wait for pan to heat up, and place your patties in the pan. 
8.) Cook on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Flip patties and place your cheese slices on top. Cook for 3 minutes, then cover pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes. 
9.) Serve your burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato & onion and don't forget the special sauces!

















13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! They really are so delicious, and easy to make too! xx

      Delete
  2. Such a great veggie recipe *_* I want to try it too! Once a week I used to eat a veggie meal.
    Thanks for sharing

    kisses

    Francesca http://everydaycoffee23.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know if you try it---I'm sure you'll love it! I try to eat vegetarian as much as possible, so these have already become a staple in our weekly meals. xx

      Delete
  3. Omg this looks delicious! I'll be sure to try this ;)

    New post on GIRL ABOUT TOWN BLOG
    LIKE MY BLOG ON FACEBOOK :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are SO delicious! As I said, I've eaten these six times in the past two weeks haha
      Let me know if you try them out! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
      xx

      Delete
  4. Hi!! This is Mariana, we were... talking? on Tuula's post a couple days ago. Haha! I'm now following you! I love the quality of these pictures. This dish looks yummy!! It's so cool to find an american girl living in Buenos Aires! Not pretty common around here. I'll try to come here often ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mariana! I get so excited when I find Argentines through the blogging world---it makes me so happy that I started my blog in the first place! It's so fun to connect with people who you would have never known before!

      I think I am the only EstadoUnidense living in my neighborhood....whenever I go to Palermo, for example, I hear people speaking English everywhere, but here (I live around Tribunales) it's not likely I run into anyone else from the United States, and that is obvious as I get asked on a daily basis where I am from haha

      Anyway, hope you had a great weekend! Keep in touch! xx

      Delete
  5. Oooh... that chickpea carrot burger looks yummy. I may have to try that. =)

    Hazel
    www.theskimplelife.com
    Follow me on Instagram: @theskimplelife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must try these! Definitely a recipe you should not pass up! xx

      Delete
  6. wooooow they look delicious!! i make mine without egg and they also taste great, i do them with lentils as well :)

    http://vforcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)