Sunday, January 26, 2014

Soft Pretzels at Home!



A few months ago my Mom sent me the Auntie Anne's At-Home Baking Kit (They have since changed the name to "Pretzels & More Homemade Baking Mix") and for some reason I didn't make it immediately, which was a huge mistake on my part, because I had no idea what I was missing out on. I've always been a huge fan of Auntie Anne's pretzels. Who isn't? They top the list of my favorite soft pretzels, with the homemade pretzels from the Amish market in Flemington coming in a close second. Anyway, for some reason or another I didn't make them until recently. Maybe I thought that the boxed version couldn't be nearly as good as the real version, but I was wrong. These pretzels were SO GOOD. Tomas and I each ate quite a few straight out of the oven, alternating between the original salt pretzels and the cinnamon sugar ones. I mean we really had no choice, since these pretzels need to be fresh & hot out of the oven to be enjoyed in all their glory.

While following the directions in the kit was easy, making these pretzels was a bit time consuming. Obviously, it was all worth it in the end. You do need to have quite a bit of counter space to make the traditional size Auntie Anne pretzels, so if you live in an apartment with limited kitchen space (Welcome to city living!), you're going to have to make the pretzels a bit smaller. I was able to make about 10 to 12 medium-sized pretzels.

Now, feast your eyes on these!


After you form the pretzels, you have to dip them in a mixture of baking soda and water,
 and dry them on a towel before you bake them.
Who knew?!






See them glistening?
That's the melted butter glaze.


Slightly crisp on the outside,
 soft & chewy on the inside.



I'm not sure where my Mom picked up this baking kit, but I did some research and you can find them at any one of these stores.

Now, who's planning on going out immediately and picking up a package?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)