Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Do you care...for you hair?


I've really been enjoying my short hair this summer! It's very easy to maintain, and feels so healthy! Although, now I'm trying to decide whether this is a look I want to sport year-round. I find myself missing the ability to make a french braid in my hair or have a long, classic ponytail. With that said, I've been taking extra good care of my hair so that it grows back fast, long & healthy.


It's been about 3 years now since I discovered biotin. Well, I didn't "discover" it, but rather my hair stylist in Scottsdale told me about it. And I swear the stuff works!  Not only is biotin good for your hair, but it is also good for your skin & nails too! 

I take one biotin pill a day, and every other day, I shampoo & condition my hair with Andalou Naturals Full Volume products, which are infused with biotin & lavender.  The shampoo & conditioner are also free of parabens and sulfates. Ever since I read about how bad sulfates and sodium are for you hair, I try to only buy products without one or the other. If I can find a product without sulfates AND sodium, even better. The only con about the Andalou Naturals shampoo is that it does contain sodium. 



While it can be difficult to find sulfate & sodium free shampoos, they do exist. After Andalou Naturals, another favorite shampoo & conditioner line of mine is Organix. Many of their products are sulfate and/or sodium free. In the past, they would print on the front of every bottle whether the product was sulfate or sodium free, but it seems that they have stopped doing that. This just means you need to refer to the back of the bottle for ingredient details. (Sulfates and sodiums are always listed at the top of the ingredient list). Another pro about Organix is that they have an amazing array of scents to choose from.

Another major change that I've made to my hair care routine over the past few years is that I've cut out almost all blow drying. When I moved to Argentina, I basically stopped blow drying my hair. I'm not really sure there was any reason for this (other than I was lazy?), but I know it has helped my hair drastically. I would say I blow dry my hair maybe about 4-6 times A YEAR now.


What hair products do you use? Are you a fan of sulfate & sodium free products as well? And finally, do you plan on joining me on the biotin bandwagon?


**Andalou Naturals products & Country Life biotin can be found at Whole Foods.

2 comments:

  1. I need to get more biotin!! I remember you taking that leading up to your wedding and your hair was SO good and princess-y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Diet is a really important factor in healthy hair too, so I try to incorporate as many walnuts, lentils, blueberries and sweet potatoes into my diet as I can. (I just had some lentils for lunch actually).
    Go here: http://www.webmd.com/beauty/hair-styling/top-10-foods-for-healthy-hair?page=1
    for the complete list of healthy hair foods

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)