Friday, January 10, 2014

Day Trip to Cave Creek


With all of the hubbub surrounding the holidays, there wasn't much time for traveling during our trip back to the US. We had to choose our destinations wisely while also setting aside some relaxing time. I went through several travel books my mom had given me, and decided that a day trip to a nearby "old western" town would be fun.

Cave Creek, AZ is only about a 30 minute drive from where our house is in North Scottsdale, which was a huge selling point for me. I hadn't been feeling the greatest in the days following Christmas so I was glad to have found a close destination which made for a wonderfully laid-back day trip.


Right off the main road that runs through Cave Creek is "Frontier Town," a cute little outdoor shopping area that sells all things southwestern, including artisan goods as well as souvenirs.


I know that there are a lot of people that don't like to do anything that's "touristy," but when I am with Tomas I really enjoy seeing/experiencing touristy things because I know it's a first for him, which makes it more exciting for me as well! When I first brought Tomas to NYC, I put together a very touristic itinerary, and I have to say, experiencing the United States as a tourist was a real treat! There were so many sights that I had just taken for granted before or didn't even bother to see at all!

Ok, now on to my slew of photos. Hope you enjoy!

We stopped at Carefree (the town next-door to Cave Creek) on the way.
They had a cute town center which included this sweet cafe nestled in between the palm trees.

Welcome to Frontier Town in Cave Creek!






Just another cowboy, lacing his boots & shining his spurs.


We stocked up on some homemade spiciness at Suzanne's Hot Stuff.


Fortunately, in Arizona, there seems to be a Mexican restaurant on every corner.





I thought the "salsa holder" was such a great invention until Tomas burst my bubble
and told me that it probably was just a candle holder they used for the salsas.
I like it anyway.




I absolutely loved all of the mosaics and stone at the restaurant.



After lunch, I was lured back across the street by all of the beautiful, colored sculptures & pottery.








I obviously could not leave the shop without buying anything,
so I picked up these two gorgeous, hand-painted bowls.


I never knew a pile of rocks could be so amazing...

On the road...
Gotta get home in time for another beautiful Arizona sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)