Friday, November 8, 2013

Homemade Body Scrub


I'm a big fan of exfoliation. There's nothing like finding that perfect body scrub. 

The variety of exfoliating scrubs is limited here, so I was ecstatic when I came across a DIY body scrub on Free People's blog. I knew I needed to make my own, as well as share the wealth with others.

I've made this body scrub for myself a few times and have also made this as gifts for friends & family. I really enjoy making homemade gifts and I certainly love receiving them (I hope all of my gift receivers feel the same way!)

This requires only 3 ingredients and you can tailor it to your personal scent preferences!


Hope you guys have fun making this one!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Homemade Body Scrub
Original recipe from Free People

What you'll need:
-A small jar (I've been using leftover Yankee Candle jars in the small 3.7oz size. I find that these small candle jars are the perfect size for gift giving! Do you know how to remove residual wax & clean out a leftover candle jar? See my tips at the bottom of this post!
-Sugar
-Olive oil
-Essential oils (Choose whichever fragrance you'd like. You can even mix a few of your favorite scents!)
-Utensil for mixing (I used a cute little drink stirrer I had on hand. Because who doesn't own a glittery drink stirrer with a golden cat figurine perched on top?)

The Free People recipe suggests a 2:1 ratio: 
2 tablespoons sugar + 1 tablespoon olive oil + 1 drop essential oil

To fill my little 3.7oz candle jar it took:
6 tablespoons sugar + 3 tablespoons olive oil + a few drops essential oil. Free People says to use just one drop of essential oil, but I found that I needed more than that. Just add your oil drop by drop, stirring in between, and stop when you've reached the perfect scent strength.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Gather your materials
Sugar, olive oil, essential oil(s), empty jar(s)
Measuring spoons

Add your 2 tablespoons of sugar
Add one tablespoon of olive oil

Stir



Add essential oil
I chose "Relax" & Eucalyptus for one scrub and Honey & Vanilla for another scrub

Continue adding sugar & olive oil in the 2:1 ratio until jar is full, stirring in between additions.
Pack down sugar mixture in the jar & clean around the edges

If making body scrub as a gift, label the jars using some cute stickers.
(Thanks for the cupcake labels, Heather!)



Ready for gift-giving!

Removing leftover wax & cleaning used candle jars:
-Put candle in freezer for about an hour or so. I usually forget about mine and leave it in overnight, or in my current case, 1 week (maybe 2).
-Remove candle from freezer. If there is a layer of wax on the bottom, use a knife to break the wax into pieces and dump into the trash can. If you only have some wax residue in your jar, you won't have to do that.
-Fill your jar with white vinegar and let sit. This is another case where I let it sit much longer than it needs. 
-Empty vinegar out of jar and wash with dish detergent and hot water. 
And there you have it, a clean jar to reuse for many purposes!

Note: Usually I have these empty jars lying around for quite some time, so before I start bottling my body scrub, I usually clean the inside of the jar with some rubbing alcohol and then give it one final wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)