Sunday, October 6, 2013

Recipe :: Panzanella with Roasted Peppers, Tomatoes & Basil


I found this recipe for panzanella on Gwyneth Paltrow's online lifestyle publication, goop, and I thought it seemed simple enough to make. I had never roasted peppers in my home before. In the Unites States, we just bought them pre-roasted and pre-jarred, and here we would really only have them if Tomas was making them at the restaurant.
The smell that fills your house from roasting peppers over a gas stove is incredible. Yankee Candle should consider bottling this scent. 

With that said, every part of making this panzanella and eating it was enjoyable. I think it might be one of my favorite salads now. I'm glad I was able to make use of some stale country bread we had, and I was pleasantly surprised with the anchovy vinagrette. Normally I pass on anchovies, but I figured if it was one of Gwyneth Paltrow's chosen recipes, then it must be a winner. I'm excited that I found this recipe and look forward to making it one of our staple salads this summer.

Roasting away!
Your roasted pepper should look like this when it's done.
Don't be alarmed by its appearance; you'll peel off all the black charred skin later.
While you're roasting your pepper, you can start preparing the rest of the salad.
I chose to chop my cherry tomatoes first.
Green pepper is on-deck to be roasted.
(Note: The recipe actually calls for yellow pepper, but I misread it and picked up a green pepper instead.)

The tomatoes looked so ripe and delicious, I couldn't stop taking photos.
Next, cut your stale country bread into cubes.

Add your bread cubes to the bowl with the chopped tomatoes.
Chop anchovies and whisk together vinaigrette.
You'll notice in the top right corner I have my roasted peppers in a bowl covered with plastic wrap.
Store peppers like this until they are cool.
When peppers are cool, you can peel off the charred skins.
After peeling off charred skins, rinse peppers and remove all seeds.
Slice peppers.
Add peppers to salad, drizzle with vinaigrette, and toss. Let sit for a moment before serving.
Garnish with basil.
Drizzle extra olive oil on top before serving

We followed the salad with some spaghetti and homemade meatballs.
It was the perfect Italian dinner!

3 comments:

  1. Looks delish! The appearance of the pepper is alarming, but if you and Gwyneth can handle it, so can I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aishlinn, if anybody non-famous, non-Gwenyth had told me to roast my own peppers and put anchovies in my salad dressing, you can bet this recipe would not have shown up on my blog haha. Love that we still think along the same lines! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHY DID YOU NEVER COOK FOR ME AND NOW YOU LIVE A MILLION TIME ZONES AWAY

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)