Saturday, September 7, 2013

Recipe :: Sweet Potato & Jalapeño Hash

I found this recipe from Tasty Yummies a few months ago and have already made it several times. It's a great weekend breakfast, brunch or lunch option when you have some free time to make the preparations. The cooking part is easy, it just takes some time to prepare all of the ingredients.

Red peppers & jalapeño peppers, onion, ham, scallions, cilantro and eggs

Cook the sweet potatoes with onions, crushed red pepper, salt & black pepper.

What's great about this recipe is that it can be easily altered to your liking. You have the option of making it vegetarian or vegan if you'd like (Tomas and I usually don't go that route though). The only change that I have made to the original recipe, in terms of ingredients, is that I have substituted jalapeño peppers for poblano peppers. This was done for the sole reason that hot peppers are hard to come by here, and jalapeños are the easiest to find. In the spring and summer we have two blooming hot pepper plants (those tiny ones that burn your fingers for the rest of the day after you touch them), but since we are off-season now, we have to buy our hot peppers.

Add in ham, peppers and garlic. 
Add half of the chopped scallions & cilantro.

In terms of cooking the eggs, I prefer to make two little holes in my hash mixture and cook the eggs there, closer to the bottom of the pan. They cook faster this way and leave less room for error (I found that when I have cooked the eggs on top of the hash, the hash underneath burns and gets stuck to the bottom of the pan while the eggs are cooking). I also don't cook my eggs as long as the suggested time, since I prefer my yolks gooey and runny. YUM.

Finally, add in your eggs to cook.

And..... taaa daaa!


The finishing touch: garnish with the remaining freshly chopped scallions & cilantro.

This is a very filling dish; one that makes you feel satisfied, but not guilty! I would say that this is one of my favorite recipes that I have made so far. Hope you all get a chance to make it and enjoy it too!

1 comment:

  1. I'll try this next weekend....and by the way, those are great pictures showing each step.....very helpful and professional.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)