Monday, September 16, 2013

Recipe :: Strawberry, Banana & Cream Icebox Cake


Having sweets in the house is a must for me, and if the sweets are homemade it's even better. Last weekend I decided that I wanted to make something without following a recipe, (which is very much out of my comfort zone), so I knew that I needed to make something simple. I looked at several recipes for icebox cakes online to get an idea of how to make one and see the many flavor combinations.

Icebox cakes have a retro charm to them, and what's even better is they are easy to make, but at the same time are an impressive dessert to serve to guests. Tomas told me it was the best icebox cake he's ever had. He might be a little biased though.


Strawberry, Banana & Cream Icebox Cake
Ingredients:
-3 bags(160g. each,480g. total)Boca de Dama cookies (You can use any simple cookie for the cake. I chose plain vanilla with some texture).
-1/2 liter container heavy cream
-1/2 kilo strawberries
-2 bananas
-1/2- 1 cup confectioner's sugar,depending on how sweet you like your whipped cream.To be honest I didn't really measure, I would pour and taste until the cream was to my liking.
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-cinnamon for sprinkling




Method:
1.) Thinly slice your strawberries and bananas and set aside.
2.) Pour all of cream into a bowl and add vanilla extract.
3.) Start whipping cream with electric mixer and slowly add in confectioner's sugar. Taste as you go, and keeping adding more sugar until it is to your liking.
4.)Line the bottom of your cake pan with cookies. I used a round spring form cake pan, but you could also use a square or rectangular pan.
5.)Begin to layer your cake. My cake included 10 layers and were placed as follows: Cookies, Bananas, Cream (sprinkle some cinnamon here to enhance the bananas & cream flavor), Cookies, Cream, Strawberries, Cream, Cookies, Cream, & Strawberries.
6.)Store in refrigerator and wait a few hours before serving to make sure cake sets.
7.) Be ready to impress your guests & enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Are icebox cakes popular down there? If you made that for me it would certainly be the best I've tasted because it would be the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would love to try it ... but i don't know how to measure in the metric system

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)