Thursday, August 15, 2013

I can't stop raving about chia...

About a month and a half ago, I was feeling exhausted all the time, with no energy. In general I was just feeling "blah." Finally I got tired of feeling tired and decided to make a change, and I knew where the change had to be made: in my diet. Since then I have incorporated many more vegetables into my diet (I try to eat vegetarian two out of my three meals a day), as well as chia seeds.

I had read about the benefits of chia for a long time, but was never interested in trying it. I thought, "Isn't that the same chia people used to grow their Chia Pets?" And the answer is yes, yes it is. I continued to read more about it, and kept discovering even more health benefits and decided I would give it a try. 

At the health food stores in Buenos Aires there are two types of chia: chia seeds and crushed chia. I opted for the crushed chia, which is similar to a powder. I find that the crushed chia is easy to incorporate into most of your meals without tasting it or feeling the texture. I have read that the daily recommended serving size of chia is 1- 4 tablespoons. I usually eat one tablespoon a day and have noticed results. Each person's body will of course react differently.

How do I integrate chia into my meals? Well, for breakfast I like to mix it in with my yogurt or sprinkle it on top of a peanut butter & jelly rice cake.  For lunch and/or dinner, I've used it in salads, sauces for pasta or rice dishes, and purees such as pumpkin puree, mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes. These are just a few of the endless uses for chia!

Want to find out more about chia?

Stay tuned for some new healthy recipes that taste great and that chia can be incorporated into!

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)