Friday, October 5, 2012

El Galpon

El Galpon is an organic market in the Chacarita neighborhood of Buenos Aires. I discovered it one day on Facebook, and could not have been more delighted. In the United States, my mom cooks all things natural and organic. In my hometown, you can find organic food either at an organic market or most big supermarkets have their own organic section. When I came to Buenos Aires, I did not expect to find organic options at the supermarket, nor was I about to try TOO hard to search for special organic stores as organic food is so expensive and for that reason, it is definitely not a staple of a normal 25 year-old's diet.

After I discovered El Galpon online, I decided that Tomas and I should go to check it out, not necessarily to buy anything, but for the earthy experience. This market is only open on Wednesdays and Saturdays, so one Saturday morning we headed over to Chacarita with Tomas' parents. It was a little difficult to find---not many people seem to know about. I'm not sure whether that is because organic food is not as high in demand here or because the market is hidden behind a train station, next to the old abandoned train cars. Really could be either one. Maybe the abandoned train cars turn some people away. To me, it's art...with people living inside.

It is a tiny market....very quaint, but they have everything you could possibly need or want that's organic. From cheeses and meats, to fruits and vegetables, breads, spices, pastas and even beauty products. There is also a cafe at the market where you have the option to eat either inside or out. We sat inside and I had a pizzita integral c/ queso, rucula, y tomate (small whole grain pizza with cheese, arugula and tomato). I felt so healthy eating it, washing it down with my fresh squeezed ginger lemonade. Then I went on to eat a chorizo sandwich for dinner. Hey, you win some, you lose some. At least it was organic chorizo! Which by the way, if you have never tried a chorizo sandwich before, you are missing out on one of the greatest joys of life.

We have made some delicious dinners from ingredients we have bought at El Galpon, and as far as prices go it is really not that expensive! Tomas and I have been back a couple of times since we discovered it. It's a nice way to spend a Saturday morning and is only a short subway ride away.

In case any of you were wondering, El Galpon means "the barn." And indeed this market does have a "barn" feel to it.  And lots of people with unwashed hair, but I am in no place to judge. To my knowledge, dry shampoo has still not made it's way south of the equator.

"The Barn"


the scene

frolicking down the cobblestones with my reusable shopping bag

I got a backpack a couple of months ago. I use it everyday.
Doesn't it look great in pictures?

Cooking the mini chorizos...

...with a side of shiitake mushrooms.

The final product: a delicious choripan (chorizo sandwich) with the
traditional chimichurri sauce.

For breakfast, some organic vanilla yogurt
in an old fashioned milk bottle.
(I made the pic black and white to really
give it that 50's feel).

...and the next weekend, we picked up these extra large chicken wings
and doused them in some Frank's Red Hot, thanks to my parents.

I know the key to Tomas' heart.

Until next time,
Chrystin



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting Turmeric N Spice . For the rice flour flat bread, if you do not have fenugreek you can use any greens, or you could use combination of vegis ( something that's no mushy ) or just make it plain with out anything except onions .

    You have a nice space here, I love the picture of the barn and the old train.... I love to go on local exploration like this !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say :)